Sleeping and ageing are related to each other in more than one way that we know of. If you have elderly people in your home, you must be aware of best bedtime for seniors and the fact that with ageing, the sleep keeps going farther and farther. Senior people face a difficult time sleeping. Not that they have any sleep disorders, but it is just the ageing effect.
Whatever the case may be, we are sure you must be worried about their health and sleep. While you may be taking care and doing everything for them during the day, however, nursing them in the night can be difficult. After all, you also need to catch up on your much-needed sleep. Well, if this is a worrying problem for you, we have something in store for you. Here is a guide to safe and blissful bedtime for seniors.
Keep reading and we are sure, you will get some quick tips and insights on how to take care of the elderly during the night.
Best Bedtime for Seniors: Create A Comfortable Environment
As the age grows, people often experience normal changes in sleep patterns. The seniors might be feeling sleepy earlier than bedtime or waking up early or not sleeping for a long time at a stretch. All these symptoms are a part of normal ageing. Nonetheless, sleep is just as important to your physical and emotional health as it was during a younger age. To make sure that the elderly sleep peacefully and comfortably, it is essential to create a cosy and pleasant environment for them.
1. Create A Comfortable Sleeping Space:
Is the bedroom where the senior people are sleeping cosy enough? Do they have enough light source near their bed, if they want to read at night? Is it safe enough for them if they wish to visit the washroom at night alone? You need to consider all these things and make sure that everything is suiting their comfort. And it is the way they like it.
2. The Perfect Mattress Plays A Vital Role:
Now, with ageing, there come many complications and one of them is orthopedic problems. In this case, ensuring that the elderly are sleeping on the right mattress for older people is very important.
The UrbanBed orthopaedic memory foam mattress is the best orthopedic mattress for elderly people. It provides perfect support to the spine and joints and ensures that they do not have to suffer from any orthopaedic pains. The best orthopedic mattress is specially designed for back pain and is suitable for all kinds of sleepers.
3. A Perfect Mattress Needs A Perfect Bedding (Best Bedtime for Seniors):
Spending on quality bedding adds a touch of luxury that a senior probably wouldn’t do for themselves. But we are sure you can do it, to make them sleep comfortably. Cheap bedding tends to develop pills and wrinkles which are annoying enough to make sleep uncomfortable. Luxury bedsheets and bed covers may be costly but think of it as an investment in the comfort for the seniors for many nights to come.
Some sheets are warmer in winter, while some are sheets are cooler in summer. Since temperature affects the quality of your sleep, it’s probably a good idea to invest in different types of sheets and pillowcases for different seasons. List of top 5 educational speakers
4. Look For Any Other Underlying Problems:
Though the sleeping hours decrease with the increasing age, however, there might be some other causes as well, responsible for the uneasy sleep for seniors. You need to look out if the seniors are having any other signs causing the sleepless nights like:
- Are they under some extra or unwanted stress?
- Are they depressed or feeling emotionally low?
- Are they suffering from any worry or chronic anxiety?
- Did they go through any recent trauma?
- Are they under any medications that might affect their sleep?
- Are they suffering from any other health problems that may be causing the problem in sleeping?
What To Do If The Elderly Need Any Help?
If you are caring for someone with Alzheimer’s or any other serious illness that makes it risky for them to stay alone all by themselves, then you may need additional safety measures.
- You can use a call button like the one the hospitals uses. By this, they will not have to shout and call someone for help. If a call button is not too pleasant and gives them a feeling of being in the hospital, you can go for a beautiful bell instead as long as it is loud enough.
- Bed safety rails can keep them from falling out of bed and may discourage them from trying to get up on their own.
- The alert pads on the bed and the floor will sound an alarm if you try to get out of bed on your own. This is a particularly important precaution for patients with Alzheimer’s disease who wander. Their condition may prevent them from recognizing the danger of walking at midnight.
Doing all these things for best bedtime for seniors is surely going to make your elderly comfortable and also give you the peace of loving and caring for the seniors. And remember, while it is important for you to take care of the elders, you also need to ensure that you are getting a good night’s sleep to stay healthy.
Look out for and buy the best orthopedic mattress from UrbanBed. Browse from our wide range of products, especially designed and customized keeping in mind the needs of all kinds of sleepers of all ages.